Thursday, August 20, 2009

Clay IV.35

I have asked the questions and struggled with possible answers. If I have any wisdom in me, I will accept the outcomes of thought for what they are: outcomes of thought, a discursive struggle. †

In the most difficult matters--and that of God's omnipotence is the most difficult matter for me--one must know when to surrender the need to know. The struggle reaches an aporia. At best it is an aporia better articulated than at first. †

I can't know, and so surrender to the incompatibility of the tradition's assertions of God's omnipotence and omniscience, on the one hand, and my best thought responses, which amount to reasoned doubt and struggle, on the other. †

Of course faith in God and the gnosis of God does not necessarily mean being able to articulate the meaning of the creation. †

To assert that God is not omnipotent or omniscient is unjustifiable in the light of Matthew 10:29 or Jesus' words in Matthew 6. Of course we know that many of Jesus' words in the Gospels are are not authentic: nonetheless I know no good basis on which to reject these particular assertions. To the extent that he was speaking in the line of the prophets, in the line of Jewish tradiition, these words are not exceptionable. And so it is no small thing to assert: "These particular words--the Messiah probably didn't speak them." It is certainly very possible he did not, but one has no good historical reason to assert it. †

I suspect there is something askew in the traditional understanding, that the created world is not a constant and perfect expression of God's will. †

And so the struggle reaches an aporia for me, as it has often done for others. This particular suspicion and my faith have no trouble living together however. As I say above, one surrenders the need to know. †

One surrenders the need to know; one continues to pose the question.

No comments: